Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick selection of huge amount of surfaces in pubgeom 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

treddie

Computer
Dec 17, 2005
US
Hi!

I was curious if anyone knows of a quick way to select a ton of surfaces all at once for a pubgeom? In order to get a big pattern of a part, I had to successively create new prt files, that were built from a pubgeom'd pattern in a prior file. The result is a huge grid (a pattern 14 by 48) of simple parts, each composed of 26 surfaces. So, that's 17,472 individual surfaces). The problem is that now that I have my huge grid of quilts created with a pattern, I cannot find a quick way to get all of those surfaces quickly selected for another pubgeom, because they are quilts, not solids. The best I can do is right-click one surface, Pick-From-List, and choose the 26 surfaces of that quilt. But then I'll have to do that 14 * 48 = 672 times!

There HAS to be a better way, right? No?

Thanks to anyone who can assist!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only "quicker" solution I have discovered is that after I have imported a copygeom from a previous file, to immediately turn those quilts into surfs and then solidify all of it BEFORE I do a new pattern and pubgeom. That way I can tell pubgeom to select All Solid Surfaces at once. But it still can be a lot of work, just not as much.

Would it be possible to perform a search querry? Using "quilts" and "history-all"? I do something similar for developing surface offset models to be solidified. I have zero experience with publish geometry so I am not sure if the same rules would help/apply.

- J -

Hi jvian,

Thanks for responding.

The problem with Publish Geometry is that no matter what you have selected, when you start the pubgeom process, all prior selections are deselected, and you cannot select anything in the model tree...It won't accept that type of selection...Only directly selecting a feature in the viewport works. Pretty dumb for PTC to set it up that way because it is severely limited. Why they haven't broadened the selection ability by now for Pubgeom boggles my mind. I AM using W5 however, and not a true Creo-2. So maybe that is fixed now. Don't know.

I like your query idea though...I just wish pubgeom would integrate with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back