Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick way to make drawings from configs? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesaTactical

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2004
US
I did a little searching here and didn't see an answer.

I have some parts which take advantage of the SolidWorks configuration and Design Table utility. I have already produced a dimensioned drawing of one of the configurations. I would like to make drawings of the ohter configurations as well. I was wondering whether there was a quick way to do this based on the first drawing, rather than starting and dimensioning new drawings.

I suppose another method would be using a design table on the drawing itself, but I don't really know how to annotate for that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) Create new sheet
2) Copy & Paste dimensioned view(s) to new sheet
3) RMB new view(s) & select properties
4) Select the config required.

[cheers] & all the best.

We create configs drawings as separated drawings (not as a separated sheet of one drawing).

In this case:
1) When first drawing is finished and saved, save as "new name.slddrw"
2) Open the new drawing file
3) Continue on step 3) of CBL post

Regards

Since you are using Design Tables you can take it a step further. Create a columns in the design table for Part Number, Description, Material, Finish, Color... or any information that may be config specific that gets filled in on the Drawing Template.

Link the notes on the template to the model in the default view and they will update automatically from your design table when you change the shown config. While you are at it, link the Drawing Number to the file name if you save the file as the Drawing Number. Then when you save the drawing as a new number it will update after it is saved and rebuilt, so be sure to save - rebuild - save this way the updated number is saved on the drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back