Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"3 Shot" alternative to Single Shot Time Delay Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMcNutt

Industrial
Mar 3, 2013
US
Is there a simple time delay relay on the market that works like a single shot except it can be made to have 3 events? Another way of explaining would be an interval timer that stops after 3 intervals of on time?

The on time would be 10 seconds followed by 30 seconds of off time, nothing critical about it. I just want an integrated product that is reliable. Voltage is +12 DC.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably not available as a standard device. But, with a LOGO! - you can have any complexity and function you want.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

What he said, except understand there are several other perfectly qualified "Nano-PLC" options out there beside the LOGO! (the ! is part of the product name). Other people refer to them as "Smart Relays" as well. They are small stand-alone PLCs, often with a built-in programming terminal, that support maybe 6-8 inputs and 4 relay outputs in a 2" square format, some with expansion capabilities. They have numerous timimg function, counting functions, time clocks, sequencers etc. etc., more than enough to accomplish this task. The only tricky part is that they are not all available at 12VDC. I know for a fact that the LOGO! does, as well as the Allen Bradley Micro 810 (which has free PC programming software, unlike Siemens), but those are the only two I have used at 12VDC and I know that some of the cheapest ones offerred on-line are not available at that voltage. Also, be forewarned to check the temperature specs, you tend to get what you pay for.

Still, these little devices have become so inexpensive that it's a wonder to me that complex programmable timer relays even manage to continue to be made.

"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals" -- Booker T. Washington

I have used the IDEC SmartRelay on a few projects. Model FL1E-H12RCE is rated for Universal Voltages (12/24 VDC, 24 VAC/VDC, 100-240 VAC/VDC). Reasonably priced and easy to program with the software.

The Idec Smart Relay is the LOGO! brand labeled from Siemens by Idec.

"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals" -- Booker T. Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back