Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

"50 Years of Interstate (Highway) Structures" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always marveled at the Interstate system that connects the country. I-80 across northern PA is far superior to the PA Tpke to the south, and there are no tolls on I-80.

I have always, er, marveled, at the PA road system. It seems like every political boundary within the commonwealth is clearly marked by a step, often multiple inches tall, in the roadway surface.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I appreciate the lane and safety (white and yellow line) markings.

The genius who thought painting center lines AND edge lines is my hero, whoever it is.

Germany(1970s)used one shape reflector on one side of the road, and different shape on the opposite, which more than once clued me in that in dense fog I had crossed the center line and was way out of my lane.

Dan

I drove the German autobahn during the Berlin Wall crisis in the '60s. I was struck with the easy to follow road signs incl the upcoming lane change arrows. They showed the world how to design limited access roads.

At the time, I took a trip south from Frankfurt, and the road in the vicinity of Stuttgart was in bad shape in the right lane. I had to cruise on the left and give way to the high speed Mercedes. They refused to pass on the right.

I had GI 'USA' plates and when I came back from a trip thru Switz., the German border guard simply waved me thru. Germany for me has been a second home. On repeated business trips to Hamburg, I came back to reverse cultural shock as I entered the States, sorry to say.

I like the rumble strips that they put on the edges of the lanes now. It makes dozing at the wheel much safer.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back