Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

"An object with that name already exists" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjaminc

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2008
US
I'm fairly new to Pro/E (SolidWorks user) and am having a repeating problem with the error listed in the subject line: "an object with that name already exists". Basically, I'll create a part, add it to the assembly, then decide I want to completely redesign the part, so I delete it from the assembly, delete all associated part files from the directory (*.prt.1, *.prt.2, etc), then try to create a new part in the assembly with the same name. That's when I get the error. I can't figure out what else to delete. Sometimes restarting Pro/E helps, but sometimes it doesn't. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
BC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

> delete it from the assembly, delete all
> associated part files from the directory

The object still exists in memory / "In Session".
You'll be able to see the object if you look for it;
(menu:) File -> Open -> Look in: In Session.

Once you (menu:) File -> Erase -> Not Displayed ...
the object you should be able to create a new object
with the name.

> Sometimes restarting Pro/E helps,
> but sometimes it doesn't.

Restarting (new Session) should (?) have worked without
exception as long as there's not a same name object in a
search path.

(Pro/E's file management is a bit complex. A good read
thru Help ("What's This?" is handy for a start point) is
compulsory and a bit of experimentation to make sure you
understand will save you some grief. Assumptions will
cause you some.)

-Jeff Howard (wf2)
Sure it's true. I saw it on the internet.

Thanks, Jeff. Agreed on the file management being a bit complex. User interface and the underlying mechanics have already sprung all sorts of little surprises relative to my SolidWorks training -- but I've also appreciated how the program really supports (and virtually enforces) well-defined parametric modeling practices.

Much appreciated,
BC

File > Erase > Not Displayed

Although you deleted the object and closed it's window the Part name still exists in system memory.

This is good if you closed a part without saving and need to bring it back. If you hit File Open and select the Blue Desktop icon it will display objects in memory which may be parts from other directories which you had open but don't want to browse to on disc. By erasing the not displayed parts you can clear the names out without having to restart Pro/E.

If you used the Delete option from file menu you may not have removed all the history versions of the part. If you haven't noticed every time you save a Pro/E file the file name is increased by a .## extension. If you just created the part and save it several times you'll get. NAME.prt, NAME.prt.1 , NAME.prt.2 etc. The delete will delete the latest version only. If you select File > Delete > All versions then all of the part versions get wiped.

Michael

I had noticed the various part version files, but didn't realize Pro/E had a method of directly deleting them. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back