Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Ductility Test"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoltSlinger

Industrial
Jun 24, 2015
US
Does anyone have any information on a ductility test. All I know is they mentioned 12%x4D. It sounds like they are talking about testing the elongation, but I am not sure.

Thanks for the help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think 'ductility' testing is a relatively complex subject.

12% Elongation of a 4d gauge length is not a very impressive amount of ductility but would be useful to ensure that relatively high strength bolts were not brittle.

A gauge length of 4 x Diameter would be considered relatively short for conventional tensile tests but ASTM F606 does allow the testing of bolts using a machined test piece when either the bolt is too short for full section testing or the test machine available is to small to cause the bolt to fail. The requirement is to use a 0.250" diameter section with a 1" gauge length.

You can find some explanation here:

This method is a bit 'tricky' and could artificially lower the strength of the bolt being tested. I would look more at ASTM F606 for clarity.

If you are more generally interested in ductility then Bend Testing and Erichsen Cup and Bulge tests may be more appropriate and have something to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back