Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"exploding" a sub-assembly in I-Deas 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadcoke5

Mechanical
Aug 11, 2003
US
I have an assembly that has a number of hand rails. Each hand rail is mounted with a bracket that is a sub-assembly of its own. Each of the brackets uses about 22 fastener parts.

I should also mention that the company's policy is for fasteners to be at the top level of major assemblies.

Rather than place each of the fasteners individually, I made a temporary assembly of the mounting bracket assembly and all the fasteners. Here is the general structure;

Platform Assembly
Platform Weldment
handrail
TemporayHandrailMountWithFasteners
Handrail Mount Bracket Assy
Screw 8Mx25
Bolt 8M
Washer 8M
Lock Washer 8M

The obvious method in I-Deas is to use the icon that "Changes the Parent of the selected instances." This does work, but I am finding it cumbersome to select all 22 fasteners in each bracket from the Hierarchy window. (the total number of brackets is 11, so there are 242 fasteners).

If I were using AutoCAD, the temporary assemblies would be a block, and I would simply "explode" those block, and then all the fasteners would no longer be part of that block.

This procedure may be a way to deal with Fastener stacks that need to be in my assembly. I think that the temporary assembly concept could be used by creating an assembly of the bolt, nut, & washer, and then later dissolving those assemblies (again, with the AutoCAD type "Explode").

Any suggestions on how best to do this procedure?

Joe Dunfee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To update on what I have been doing with this;

I finally settled on copying one of the brackets and bolt collections off to the side of the main model. I made a few copies of that, and turned each of them to the correct orientation. Then, I would copy the group to the actual final positions.

Since this was a fresh copy, all of the items were placed at the bottom of the hirearchy list. With them at the bottom of the hirearchy list, it is fairly easy to re-select them multiple times.

Since they were off to the side, I could just draw a window to highlight the parts, but not the assemblies (the bracket itself is a weldment, which is done as an assembly). So, I must use the Hireararchy list to actually select all the times. But, having them all collected in sequence helped that alot.

I still wish I could just click or draw a window around items in my main assembly, and not have to mess with the hirearchy tree to select them. But, this doesn't seem to be possible.

Joe Dunfee

Look under the manage bings drop down you should see groups. You can group all of them instances together and just select them as a group. you can name the group when you go to select a group right click and use groups.

It takes a little bit up front work but works nice once you get them set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back