Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Grooved" fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtis2004

Mechanical
Jan 8, 2010
CA
Hi Everyone,

What is "grooved" fittings? When you conduct piping stress analysis using AutoPIPE how you take into account that piping system will consist of those?

Thank you,
Curtis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am no piping expert, just poking my head in here, but I would think that "grooved fittings" means that the connecting points are grooved, such as a Victaulic type connection.

It usually means that a square groove is rolled or cut into the OD of ordinary pipe adjacent its end, and the pipe is assembled using fittings that clamp into that groove, and separately seal on the OD with a rubber ring.
There are many variations, and other manufacturers, but see "Victaulic" to get started.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

If you need to model Victaulic coupling in AutoPIPE, I would highly recommend you visit the AutoPIPE Knowledgebase on Betley support website, for details on modelling of such coupling in AutoPIPE. They have an article on it, together with an example dat file. It's not straight forward, but it can be done.

I am interested in seeing the article regarding the modeling of the grooved pipe coupling but I have been unable to find it. is there a link available you can post?

thanks
Mark

This may work, otherwise the link can be found on to Bentley forum - Pipe Stress Analysis section.
I believe thats where the OP also posted this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back