Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

"hoop houses" for agricultural use engineering permitting ANY BRILLIANT IDEAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Materofact

Civil/Environmental
Feb 21, 2015
US
intuition tells me that attempting to come up with engineering for plastic pvc pipes bent to form "hoop house" greenhouses might be futile and a waste of time (wind loads). apparently,in certain municipalities they are considered a "permanent structure" and in snow country its enough to say that you remove the "skin" during the winter months, but engineering for superstructure and foundation attachment and design is still required for wind and seismic loads. Obviously, there are greenhouse products and designs out there that can be constructed out of wood or steel to resist wind loads during the summer, but the question is for the VERY COMMON practice of using plastic pvc pipe and bending it to from greenhouses with see through plastic skins(have to certify that the skin stays on too??? thats pretty much a no go in my mind), and having the pipes resist wind loadind and being able to be attached to a footing of some sort.

anybody bored enough to venture a design worthy of a professional's stamp? I have some ideas myself..... do you??? but im not entirely optimistic.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How 'bout running a thin wire rope thru the pvc and tying it down as more of a reverse catenary?

Or fill the pvc pipe with a very heavy material like depleted uranium?

Would there be anything wrong with just tying tag lines to the entire structure and allowing it to float around the site in the wind like a kite?

Does PVC deteriorate when exposed to sunlight? I know that the thin walled black wrinkled plastic perforated drain pipes become brittle when a considerable time in the sun.

PVC electrical conduit (gray) is typically UV stabilized. Leaving the white stuff out in the sun for any amount of time is a non-starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back