Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

"k" dimensions for design v. detailing and 3D CAD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mx2street

Mechanical
May 26, 2005
US
We use Solidworks--just started--and are running into the issue where we want to build our models accurately accounting for strength and weight (ie design dimensions in the weldment tool) but then when a coped beam or web doubler is put in to the "designed" W's and we start manufacturing our inserts are coming in too big due to the "detailing" dimensions that the beams are coming in at.

I was wondering how users are handling the sometimes enormous difference between a W section's "k" dimension for design vs. detailing?

Tony Greising-Murschel
Windows 7 x64
Core i7 870 - 8GB - RAID0 SSD
Nvidia Quadro FX 580
SolidWorks 2011 SP1.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just like all steel dimensions the "k" dimension has a tolerance. With a +/- allowable. The reason for the increase detailing dimensions is because fabricators were detailing column web connections used the previous maximum "T" dimension. But, during erection they found that the fillet fouled significantly. Nucor's argument was that the material was within the allowable tolerance.

As I said all steel dimensions and properties have mill tolerances. I might be unrealistic to expect "exact" weight and strength in your model. Generally both lean in the conservative direction, which is inverse to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back