Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Limit Distance" mate problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracin

Automotive
Feb 16, 2005
US
Hi Everyone,
I am having a big problem with "limit distance" mates. I have always used these in sub-assemblies and never had problems until now. Basically I have a shock absorber with a given extended and collapsed length (defined by a limit distance mate). I then have a top level assembly that contains this shock absorber as "flexible". I set a limit distance maximum and minimum, and it just changes randomly. Yesterday it would change the maximum and minimum altogether, today it just changes the "distance" value. The wierd part is that it seems to have a random maximum and minimum when moving the assembly by itself and within the top level assembly. Basically, I have tried everything possible and the values just change. Thanks for your help.

Brandon
rrshocks.com
Dell M70

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Flexible subassemblies like this have always given me sporadic issues of this sort. I'd recommend never mixing flexible subassemblies with limit distance mates. So I rebuild the limit distance mate so it's in my top-level assembly. It's a pain, but it works.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Thanks for the advice. I actually tried that last night and it works in the sense that the minimum and maximum values do not change. Now, no matter what the "distance" value is, that is the maximum distance. If I set this value to 34" it will randomly change to some other value. It then uses this for the maximum and uses the correct minimum value.

Brandon
rrshocks.com
Dell M70

When I am putting shock absorbers in my assemblies, I always make them into two subassemblies. One subassembly is the top half, and the other is the bottom half. I then mate them both in the main assembly to their mounting holes, and then mate them concentric to eachother. Lastly, I add a limit mate from planes between the two eyelets. This works out really nice, and it never changes on me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back