Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

"Professional" Experience Definition 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

swooneyWOODSTRUCT

Structural
Aug 23, 2019
US
I am a little confused on what professional experience means in our profession. The broad definition of professional means "paid to do something" but we often use it to mean "working with a P.E. license".

On the ASCE Salary calculator, one of the criteria is "YEARS OF PROFESSIONAL/MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE". Is this referring to experience gained AFTER getting your P.E. or all experience after unpaid internships?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All engineering in a professional capacity, not as a CADD operator, or survey rod man, as some examples.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

I'm going to say the 'Managerial" is the key term here. How much time have spent managing other people? Is there another question about years of engineering experience?

Well its not the same as how many years have you been paid to do something.... The years spent bumming around waiting tables and generally doing more physical tasks won't get you very far.

So for me it means the years doing a design, manufacturing or construction role with the title of Engineer somewhere, whether that's junior, graduate, design or construction in front of it.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back