Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Three-Phase Power Explained"

Status
Not open for further replies.

crshears

Electrical
Mar 23, 2013
CA
Hmmm . . .

I haven't looked at the article or clicked on the link that I see pretty well every time I post here, but I'm at a loss to figure out how how three-phase power would easily be derived from the eight-pole machine in the picture associated with the link . . .

What am I missing?

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"How three-phase power would easily be derived from the eight-pole machine in the picture" is the question; just a bad choice of picture?

CR

Doh! I should have figured that out for myself . . .

CR

Sadly, engineering.com isn't particularly notable for the quality of their white papers, or their graphics; in the cited article, their physical schematic of a supposed 3-phase generator actually shows empty space where the windings are supposed to be.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

This may sound crazy, but I had no idea what anyone was talking about…
I finally looked right. I don’t think I have ever looked at any of the commercials on the right side.

I still don't see it on any page, but thanks LittleInch for providing the link (for those of us that still can't figure it out).

I wouldn't necessarily call it an 8-pole machine, but it has 8 stator coils and each coil is mounted on what you'd call a salient "pole" piece if this were a synch machine rotor, so I get why one might call it that.

Regardless of that trivial bit of terminology... agreed, that 8-coil thing would definitely not be part of any balanced 3-phase machine!

I haven't wandered into the engineering.com world a lot. But it sounds like I'm not missing much.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Marked in red
page_kzcerk.jpg

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back