Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Type V130" Gate Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtabix

Civil/Environmental
Feb 4, 2013
CA
For water distribution, I have a spec that says "Type V130 Resilient Seated Gate Valve", but the problem is, I can't find anywhere that tells me what "Type V130" means (I know what a resilient seated gate valve is). Normally when I say something is a type or class something, it comes after the name of a standard ANSI Class 125 for instance.

Anybody know what this V130 means or comes from?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The valve specs I have worked with assign unique designations for each type of valve, which provides a shortcut designation that can be used on the drawings.

For example, I pulled out a valve spec for a water tank project I did three years ago. Under Gate Valves, I included the following types (these are the headers for the individual valve specs and came from our master valve specification):
Type V100 — Aboverground Bronze Gate Valves 3 Inches and Larger
Type V180 — Cast-Iron Resilient Wedge Gate Valve 3 Inches Through 20 Inches (AWWA C509)
Type V185 — Cast-Iron Resilient Wedge Gate Valve 4 Inches Through 36 Inches (AWWA C515) [NOTE: we gave the contractor the option of using C509 or C515 valves, but not both)

Butterfly valves, ball valves, etc had their own V-numbers, with butterflies in the 200s, balls in the 300s, and so on.

Once valve types are designated this way, call-outs on the drawings are very short because you can use just the V-number rather than a lengthy call-out. On busy drawings this makes all the difference in the world.

What it boils down to is "V130" in your case is simply the design engineer's designation for a "Resilient Seated Gate Valve." He probably got it from the master valve specification. It means nothing more than that.

==========
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back