Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Waterproof" Raceway System 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyJunior

Electrical
Aug 16, 2005
US
Sparky's,

I am looking into providing a waterproof raceway system that can be installed in the area of an industrial facility that falls below the protected flood elevation. The city chapter simply states waterproof methods shall be employed, but does not give any detailed descriptions as to what constitutes the term waterproof. The components I am interested in are conduits, fittings and connectors and are required to be UL Listed as well.

My search attempts for UL Listed and waterproof have come up dry (go figure). Any input from electricians or electrical design engineers who have faced these circumstances would certainly be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only safe assumption is that all conduits installed below grade are full of water at all times and deal with that. The is insulation suitable for wet conditions, conduit drains exist, etc. Hoping to build a waterproof conduit system will result in disappointment.

Rigid PVC conduit may work. As David says, use drains, otherwise the system will hold water in after the water level drops.
There is a good choice of building wires suitable for wet locations.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back