Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Qury

Status
Not open for further replies.

finder01

Industrial
Jul 19, 2000
PA
My name is Bassam, i am an industrial engineering student, meanwhile i am in a research about Stainless Steel.<br>the main subject of this project is how many years could the Stainless Steel live in seawater, particulary the Stainless Steel E316.<br>i will be so glad if you let me know whether this kind of material could resist seawater, and humidity??? could the properties of this material remain the same under temp. 50 c<br>???<br>if this isnt the proper material to use under seawater, could you please recommend me of the best material???<br><br><br>Awaiting forward to your kind reply.<br><br>BAssAM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Bassam<br>Type 316 is a molybdenum containing stainless steel and often finds use in sea water applications.&nbsp;&nbsp;Sea water is deleterious to SS in that it contains high levels of chlorides which can cause pitting corrosion or worse stress corrosion cracking (SCC).&nbsp;&nbsp;Generally 316/316L is used for sea water applications up to 20 degrees celcius, but do avoid stagnant temperatures.&nbsp;&nbsp;At higher temperatures the use of this steel is not recommended (&gt;60 deg C)and instead duplex stainless steels (SAF 2205 or SAF 2507) have shown good corrosion resistance.&nbsp;&nbsp;Furthermore, steels with pitting resistance equivalents, PRE&gt;35-40 should be considered for sea water applications.<br><br>VN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back