Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QW-403.10 GMAW-S T qualifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2015
US
If I understand QW-403.10 and Interpretation IX-95-33 correctly, bridging the gap from 3/8" plate to 1/2" plate is going to require three full PQRs.
Say we have GMAW-S root and FCAW fill on P1G1 to P1G2 with impacts required and I want to cover 3/8" through 3/4" T. If this was done with just FCAW, one test on 3/8" would get me 3/8"-3/4" just fine.
3/8" test plate is good to .4125"
.4125" test plate is good to .454"
.454" test plate is good to 1/2"
1/2" test plate is good to 1"

Using only GMAW-S that sort of makes sense, but if only a root pass is mig and the rest is another process this really seems like a whole lot of extra work and testing. Customer specs prohibiting FCAW roots and several sizes of forged weld neck flanges fall between 3/8" and 1/2" is part of what started this.

For the middle two 'filler' tests, is it acceptable to machine just the edges (maybe 1" from the edge) of a 1/2"T plate to the specified size while leaving the rest of the plate at nominal 1/2"?
I do hope I'm missing something that would let us skip the two extra qualification tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back