Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R-Stamp or Corrected Copy U1A Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KS5014

Mechanical
Jun 9, 2023
US
All,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction within ASME/NBIC or provide experience on a situation I have. We have vessels that were recently completed. So recently that the MDR has been submitted for registration just days ago. Still at fabricator and not in use. However, there is a request to re-register these vessels at a higher design pressure. Luckily the calcs support this re-rating without any fabrication or mechanical change to the vessel other than another hydrotest. My question is- do you think this is something that could be completed via Corrected Copy of a U1A or does this have to go to a shop with an R-stamp to have all this completed?

Obviously I will be discussing further with our AI, but I was hoping to see if this is addressed anywhere that I could reference.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some members here are Purists and they will insist that the minute the Authorized Inspector (AI) signs off on the Data Report, any change thereafter must be performed per the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) by an "R" stamp-holder and all of the jurisdictional requirements of for pressure vessel repairs/alterations must be followed, even if the vessel hasn't left the manufacturer's shop.

Personally I think it's silly to follow NBIC rules for a new piece of equipment that has never been put in service. No one wants a brand new piece of equipment arriving at their facility with an outdated U-1A and an "Alteration" nameplate on it next to the ASME nameplate.

In my opinion it's best to save everyone needless headaches and expense and just have the AI resign the corrected U-1A Data Report. Your AI will likely agree with me.

-Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back