Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R18 Help Docs?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaen

Automotive
Jan 23, 2005
US
Has anyone else run in to problems with these?
They install fine by when trying to launch it gives a error.

I cant figure out whats wrong. Others are easy install and tools/options point the path in the help tab.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i am not sure but.... i remember someone talking about R18 doc.

you need to install the same service pack for the doc as the one you have for catia...

not sure if that is true but...

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

There may be a Java conflict. It may be necessary to go to the Java Settings (under the control panel) and select the browser you use. This will be different, depending on what Service pack and edition of Windows you are using, but usually there is an option to specify what browser is used. And yes, it can make a difference. (to the point that you may have to manually switch it back and forth for specific applications)

Also, Installing the help docs over a server can be a bit wonky, as well. For instance, one customer of ours has an issue that actually requires the user to map the location of the help docs as its own drive letter, (at the level where the help index is located) and then call out the drive letter, (i.e. - "K:") and then SPECIFICALLY call out English as the language. Normally, you would only have to call out the folder level where the language sub-folders reside, and the default program language would automatically find the correct language files. However, that just doesn't work on their server.

Hopefully one of these two tips will work for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Here is an excerpt form R18Sp4 Program Dir.
Note that for Windows, you need Explorer 7 and Java 5.7

Documentation Browsers Prerequirements
To access the contents of the documentation provided in HTML format, the following browsers are supported with the required corresponding Java plug-in.
Operating System / Browser / Java Plug-In Level / URL to download this Java Plug-In

Microsoft Windows / Internet Explorer 7 / Version 5 Update 7 /
IBM AIX / Mozilla / 1.7 1.5.0 SR3 /
Hewlett-Packard HP-UX /Mozilla / 1.7 5.0.0.1 /
Sun Solaris / Firefox 2.0 / Version 5 Update 7 /

Firefox 2.0 can be downloaded at the following address:
Although access to the online documentation might work on other HTML browsers, incidents specific to other browsers than above mentioned products are not eligible
for support.

I've found a fix to the problem where the R18 Help Docs don't launch from within CATIA, giving the following error

"No document is associated to the current command."

The fix was to add a line to the Environment File. There are some commented out lines at the start of the file. Within this area make sure you have the ARGS line as shown below

!----------------------------------------------------------
! DASSAULT SYSTEMES - V5 ENVIRONMENT FILE
! MODE : Global
! TYPE : CATIA
! TMSTMP : 1234567890
! ARGS : -cs CATIA -a global -icon no -menu yes -tools

It's actually the "-cs CATIA" bit that does the trick.

Now the help docs open exactly as expected within CATIA.

Hope this is useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back