Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

racket ball court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twd22285

Specifier/Regulator
Jul 31, 2007
US
There is a racket ball court that our company is going to sprinkler and i'm here to ask you oh so knowledgeable people what head choice you used in sprinklering such a facility. The room is 20' x 40' and the plan thus far is to use 2 extended coverage concealer style heads (heads centered in room at each quarter point). reason for extended coverage is to limit the amount of heads in the room, and the reason for concealers is so it does not affect the play as much as a pendent w/ a gaurd around it would, not to mention the abuse the head would still be subject to if a pendent w/ gaurd was used. Are plan w/ the concealer plate is if the plate gets hit and falls of it would protect the head and than we just need to make sure a new plate gets put on right away. If any one has an idea or better way of protecting this area please let me know, its much appreciated

tony

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have done several racquetball courts and this is about the only thing that I have seen any success with. The best I have seen is where the court owner posts a sign outside that says if the sprinkler is hit and the plate falls, play is to stop until the sprinkler is repaired. You should also leave a few cover plates on site so the maintenance guys can quickly replace the plates when they get hit.

Good luck!

The last time I checked (about 6 years ago), concealed heads were NOT rated for extended coverage. Only recessed heads had that feature. Of course, things may have changed since then. If not, you might need more than (2) concealed heads. Check the manufacturer's listing for coverage using concealed heads.

This would be one of the rare instances where I would ask for a formal varience from the authority having jurisdiction.

If it's simular to a YMCA you're going to have kids who view the sprinkler as a target just to see what the heck would happen. I know, I was a kid once. :)

Make the system a pre-action type. Provide heat and smoke detectors to prove a fire is real before admiting water to the heads. This is done often in gymnasiums.

One more sign you might need to disply is for the maintenance grew instructing them not to use silicone sealer to hold the plate on! We did a project that was all concealed sprinklers, about 200 of them, and after we turned our backs, the painter went through and caulked the gap between the plate and the ceiling. True story.

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back