Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

radar or laser

Status
Not open for further replies.

axle55

Automotive
Dec 30, 2002
GB
i need to find some comparisons on the advantages of radar and laser in the application of adaptive cruise control systems, i know several companies have developed the various systems but have little on the advantages and disadvantages of each,

Cheers in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My $0.02 -

The first thing I'd worry about is if either implementation will scare the crap out of the poor sap in front of you that has a radar/laser detector in his car.

Radar experiences significant dispersion compared to laser... so I think there would be better luck with laser directing a focused beam at a low point forward in minimize the chance that your cruise control will trigger detectors in other vehicles.

Not sure though, it's also possible both designs accomodate for that with weaker beams, etc.

Upon further thought...

have you seen any aftermarket companies that employ sonar range detection? Most vehicle manufacturers that I've kept up to date with use sonar for parking assistance systems, and I think I read that a few are modifying it for use in the adaptive cruise control.

It seems this would be the least obtrusive method, and probably more effective for safety concerns: as I read over my first post, I realized that a focused laser is probably the least appropriate means for a safe range finder. Directional is bad in this case because the cruise control wouldn't detect a vehicle in an adjacent lane or one leading you through a curve in the road. Something that emits a dispersed 'flashlight' beam like radar or sonar is more effective in this application. But I think sonar bests radar in this case, as per the reason I discussed in my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back