Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radial / Circumferential Resonance Frequency of Cylinder 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdubinsky

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2005
US
I would like to know the analytical solution (formula) for the natural RADIAL / CIRCUMFERENTIAL resonance frequency of a cylinder. Please note that I am NOT talking about a longitudinal resonance that depends on the cylinder length (let’s assume that the cylinder has an infinite length).

I realize that it may be more than just one mode. I would like to know how to calculate the natural frequencies for both the primary and higher order modes as well.

I guess, it should be a function of the pipe ID and OD , as well as material’s properties (density, Young’s modulus, etc.).

Can you please provide a practical example of calculating the resonance frequency for a steel cylinder with certain material properties and dimensions (ID and OD)?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's in Robert D Blevins Table 12-1 case 3 for thin walled tubes, radial modes only, and 12-2 case 5 for radial/axial modes.

Sorry, they are too long to type here, get it from a library

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back