Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radiator Airflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

autocad09

Mechanical
Jun 3, 2009
US
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to Solidworks, I have only been using Solidworks for 3 months. I'm trying to identify the static pressure build up on a genset that im am designing. The Radiator Airflow is at 3900 cfm. How do I set up my design to get these calcuations. A picture of the Radiator Cover is below. That will show you were the static pressure build up will occur. One thought or concern I have is if the free air flow thru the radiator discharge will be adequate.

THANKS!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What happens if your genset radiator is in dusty conditions and only 25% effective?

I would suspect that most similar devices are not analyzed at all. For R&D (Ripoff/Duplicate), I would suggest looking at competitors machines and scaling to match.

NACA has a lot of great reports on radiator design from WWII. Mostly, these involve ducted radiators however.

autocad09,

Your primary concern with your genset radiator should be air mass flow and temp rise across the core. That will determine the radiator heat rejection. Since your genset is static, the airflow across the core will be largely influenced by the deltaP produced from one side of the core to the other by the fan, and also by the core's fin density/open area. The efficiency of the fan will be hampered by any shroud airflow leakage, and by the flow restrictions produced by that fancy perforated sheet metal radiator grill shown in your photo.

Here's the best technical reference on the subject that I know of:

Hope that helps.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back