Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radiator Requirements For Diesel Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

gentech

Military
Sep 4, 2003
US
I am in the process of investigating a cooling system problem in a 2000 KWe diesel generator set. The generator set consumes belts in less than 150 hours. I have found a few issues that are problematic(drive undersized, poor sheave mounting, sheave to small). I can't however get the fan curve or any air requirements for the radiator from either supplier. I am being told that this data is not normally released to customers. Is this normal industy practice? Is there a good book that addresses industrial cooling systems?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gentech,

Even in the worst designs your belts should last much longer than 150 hours. I suspect that the sheaves are not properly aligned, causing the belts to fail quickly.

As for the fan curve, you might try the fan manufacturer. Some cooler/radiator manufacturers use Moore Fans ( They are a very good resource for information and freely give their fan rating software to anyone who wants it. Other manufacturers should have similar information, but may be more reluctant to provide it to end users. It's the spare parts thing.

I have a some information on air-cooled exchangers on my website which might be useful.
One of the pages on the site is called "Why doesn't my cooler work?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back