Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Radiator Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigressbythetail

Automotive
Mar 15, 2015
US
I can't find the answer anywhere else so surely someone here can give me a rough idea? What would be the approximate weight of a copper brass radiator minus antifreeze for something like a 1962 Pontiac Bonneville? Doesn't need to be exact.
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My favorite supplier, RockAuto, lists only units with aluminum cores and plastic tanks, which were not OEM at that time, and doesn't give a shipping weight anyway.

So I'll guess that a copper/ brass radiator of that vintage, for a car that big, would probably weigh in toward the high end of 15 ... 25 lbs. empty. ... based solely on muscle memory of wrestling radiators from cars of similar vintage and heft, in those distant decades.

Note that much, maybe most, of the mass would be associated with the steel brackets connecting the tanks. The actual tanks and tubes were thin, and the fins were paper-thin.

The last copper/brass radiators, circa 1995, were maybe 5 lbs. lighter, comprising paper-thin tubes and tanks, and fins that were only visible because they were micro- louvered.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back