Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raft foundation book 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

IgBorges

Civil/Environmental
Dec 1, 2016
BR
hi!
what best book to study raft foundation?
thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't remember seeing a book exclusively to raft foundations - but I'd suggest a first view using M.J. Tomlinson's Design and Construction of Foundations

Besides the general foundation books (Bowles, Coduto, etc), which have chapters dedicated to rafts, I know only the following exclusively to raft foundations:
- Hemsley, Design Applications of Raft Foundations;
- Hemsley, Elastic Analysis of Raft Foundations;
- Sharat Gupta, Raft Foundations. Design and Analysis with a Practical Approach;
- USACE, Design and Construction of Mat Foundations.

The following articles/reports are interesting as well:
- Poulos, Methods of analysis of piled raft foundations (2001);
- Poulos, Piled raft foundations: design and applications(2001). Géotechnique 51, No. 2, 95-113.

There's also an excellent webinar by Prof. Poulos in the ISSGME website:
-

Nice contribution avs. Several new ones in there for me.

This is seismic focussed but still useful in general.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Thanks - I'm unfamiliar with Hemsley. Will look into it. Kurnian's Design of Foundation Systems has a 100+ chapter on raft and grid foundations.

'Beams Plates and Shells on Elastic Foundations'. Vlasov and Leont'ev
'Stresses and Displacements for Shallow Foundations'. D. Milovic
and the always ... 'Elastic Solutions for Soil and Rock Mechanics' Poulus and Davies
plus to get faster to the point...NEHRP Technical Brief No. 7, 'Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete Mat Foundations: A Guide for Practicing Engineers'. (2012)

Top 2 you can get from Elsevier Publishing and part of their Developments in Geotechnical Engineering Series...they have a two for one sale going on right now. The two would cost you +/- $75
last two you can get off the internet free!
If you really want to go nuts and believe you're God try, 'Advanced Geotechnical Engineering, Soil Structure Interaction Using Computer and Material Models', Chapter 4 Three Dimensional Applications. Desai and Zaman 2014 CRC Press. It's expensive can't remember what I paid, was over $200 new... fabulous references..very current.
Did some one say Limit Analysis?
Anyways going to try to make some money this afternoon. Have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back