Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rafter-Wall Lateral, Shear and Uplift Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supun93

Structural
Nov 28, 2019
LK
I have a question about designing the connection to Rafter - Wall.

We need to design the connections to resist lateral, shear and uplift, and if we are using a ridge board then we need to install nails for the rafter ceiling connection also to resist the thrust.

To resist lateral loads(perpendicular to wall) on the roof lets say I'm install a Simpson A35 Connector. And for the lateral loads parallel to wall, i need to install another tie. Lets say I'm installing a Simpson hurricane tie.

Is it ok to install two or more connections for a single place?

Can we install it practically and is there sufficient space for several connections?

or is there is another way to design it with a single connector?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this a general question or are you looking at a particular connection with higher than usual loading?

A few comments:
1) Except for very tall walls or at jambs of large windows/doors, you're unlikely to have an out of plane loading that is more than what the typical face or toe nailing can handle. So your A35 should be a pretty rare item in this context.

2) Lateral load parallel to the wall should be transferred by blocking, not hurricane ties. Read the footnotes and fine print - they specifically say that they don't replace blocking for shear transfer.

3) You should still have hurricane ties, but you should be using them for uplift resistance and that's about it.

Other than that, a lot depends on the size of the stud and rafter. I'm not sure what the wood code is in your area, but here in the US we have the NDS. It gives rules for spacing of fasteners in connections, how a member can be loaded at a connection, etc. The individual pieces of hardware are great, but you have to apply engineering mechanics and the limitations set by your code to design them to fit and work together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back