Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid 5 terastation failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPosty

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2014
US
Our NAS a Buffalo Terastation with 4 IDE drives has failed saying 2 or more drives have failed (after a power outage). I suspect that the drives are probably good and the mobo has failed somehow. if that is the case, can I set up an old PC with Raid 5 capability and just plug them in?

"I am stuck on Band-Aid brand, 'cause they are stuck on me"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks for the reply, I actually made out ok after a really harrowing day. I googled and found a NAS Recovery program. Put an IDE controller in my computer which had only one IDE port (for the CDROM) because it is SATA type. at first it could not see any drives, so one at a time I plugged them in and found one of the drives actually loading them down. now it could see two, put the third one in freezer and that worked, now it could see 3 of them which is all you need to recover data from a 4-drive raid 5 array. The program worked like a champ. recovered all of the data. The NAS is toast, it's power supply is also bad under a load. picked up new NAS and transferred data, and everything is back to normal. Going to get one of those online backup services so next time everyone will not be panicking in the future.

Not sure if we are supposed to promote programs, so I left out those details, I found them googling and looking at reviews, program offed free trial download to see if it can find the files. Then I paid the $99 to get full functionality to actually save them to my hard drive. GeekSuad wanted over $1000 to recover the data which could take a week, i did it for $150 plus my time in half a day. Boss is very happy.

I used Runtime's "NAS Data Recovery"

honest review:

a little buggy which may or may not be the fault of the program, but it got the job done.

* I couldn't get it to recognize 2 drives on same cable which I think is the computers issue. because i couldn't see them in the bios (jumpers had no effect). but the ide card gave me two ports, and the mobo one, so i got it to work.
* The first time I ran it it went into a really long routine where it was checking disks for entopy every 10016 sectors at a time. I escaped, mounted and most of my files showed up (I thought all were there), i bought the license to download them.
* I noticed the missing files, ran it again, this time it ran lightening fast, maybe 20 seconds, and all the files were there. Weird, but delivered the results.

I should add, I am not an IT guy, I am an Industrial Mechanic, but where I work, I fix whatever is broken, CNC Machines, Toilets, Fork Lifts and even the Network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back