Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rail gun firing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The video works ok, a bit lumpy on my computer because of slow connection speed.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Still nuttin...

Must be those censors at work. I can see what appears to be raw video with ambient sounds only, no voice over on a couple of other web sites, but not the Fox one.

The video sequence of the sabot coming off the projectile is pretty neat.

By way of comparison, a 105-mm APFSDS round has about 7.3 MJ of initial kinetic energy

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

Easy to view, but with no commentary or explanation, who knows what we are seeing or what it means?

Good Luck
johnwm

Wait until you see the results of the infantry growth-to-inhuman-proportions programme...

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

The IT police where I work have applied the "Access Denied" policy to everything on utube. Trusting souls aren't they?

Good luck,
Latexman

Someday, I'll be telling my greatgrandkids, "Why I remember when a railgun took up a whole warehouse, and now you have one in your cell phone!"

oh god, and just think what the "cellphones are cooking your brain" crowd will have to say about that!

In addition to the mass and bulk challenges, they need to work on the cyclic rate of fire, which seems to be about one projectile per four years or so.

... Which is about as fast as the MHD boys are coming along, I think.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

The Navy has been working on railgun technology since around 2005. In 2006, it tested an 8-megajoule firing; in 2008, a 10.64-megajoule firing was conducted. Dec 10, 2010 , which was conducted at the Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division in Dahlgren, Virginia, broke all previous tests in a 33-megajoule firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back