Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Railway bridge loads 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKE_311

Structural
Feb 15, 2020
US
I'm looking at a protentional redesign of rail bridge. The design calls for and EMD SD70 Locomotive, 33,700 Gallon DOT 112 Tank Car, and a Cooper E60.

AREMA only discusses design using the E80, the E60 is easy enough but I can't seem to find anything on the other two loads.

Sample calcs provided show that only the E60 was used.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The design calls for and EMD SD70 Locomotive, 33,700 Gallon DOT 112 Tank Car, and a Cooper E60.

...but I can't seem to find anything on the other two loads.

Base the design only on an appropriate Cooper E loading.
Find out what Cooper E loading the locomotive and tank car need. Both will have be designed by manufacturers so that full load is evenly distributed to all axles:

Per this reference, an EMD SD70 Locomotive weighs 394 kips and has 6 axles. Best possible (and also the most likely) case is an axle load of 65.7 kips/axle (394 kips / 6 axles = 65.7 kips/axle).

Per this reference, a 33,700 Gallon DOT 112 Tank Car weighs 263 kips and has 4 axles. Again, best possible and most likely case is an axle load of 65.8 kips/axle (263 kips / 4 axles = 65.8 kips/axle).

Since Cooper E60 is 60 kips/axle... Cooper E60 is not adequate. I suppose you could go to Cooper E70, but might as well conform with typical modern specs and go to Cooper E80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back