Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rapid Prototyping? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRamirez

Automotive
Dec 11, 2001
US
Once you have a model on Pro/e and a STL file, what is the next step to have a prototype of your model? If functional, the part would be an injection molded plastic hub cap no bigger than 10".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The next step will be done by the rapid prototyping vendor. He will convert your file into one usable by his equipment. Some of the things he might have to do include adding auxiliary "struts" to support the part during prototyping and dissecting the file into layers.

Then he could go ahead an form the part.

My experience with rapid prototyping has not been happy. My parts were extemely brittle, could not function. Any attempt to make them smoother shattered them. Vendor re-did the parts once, same problems.

Does this help?

Pat ttp://

JRamirez,
Insideman is correct if you want a non-functional STL part. The purpose of an STL part is to "feel and see" the part in real life - it is NOT intended to be functional. If you want a functional model you would have to talk to a prototyping house that could make you a mold. One other option is to have the part machined out of a chunk of plastic. This would be a better working model to test in your applications and may or may not be cheaper than a single cavity mold (depends on material and geometry).

Good luck to you.
Dave

There are many Rapid Prototyping technologies that you could consider, not just SLA. I would recommend that you look at SLS - Selective Laser Sintering - which I think uses nylon, and produces parts that are as accurate as an SLA, but extremely tough. Very good for snap fits, and parts that need to flex a little to assemble. I could recommend an outfit in Australia called Solid Concepts that I've been using, but I'm not sure that I'm allowed to.

I would also recommend SLS for functional prototypes because of the choice of materials. Also, certain vendors can use the same SLS process to create the core and cavity of an SLS mold. This allows you to get many prototypes instead of one. Some places can also use your CAD model to create an aliminum mold for mulitple prototypes. Either of these options can also be used for low production. I would suggest you consider the following: 1. Does my prototype need to be functional? 2. Does my prototype need to be robust? 3. How many do I need? 4. Time frame. 5. Cost. 6. Do I need a tool to bridge the gap between prototype and production?

You could always get a urethane mould cast from an SL model and then mould it in ABS using a vacuum assisted casting. Each urethane mould should guve you 20 to 100 parts which would have enough strength to do some testing and have the smooth appearance of a Injection molded part.

The next step would be to go to alu tooling.

You can have your part prototyped in many different materials which are comparable to many grades of plastic. Get your part done as an SLA resin model then have a silicone mold made with that model. Then you can have it molded as flexible as you want. The tolerance from original part dimensions does increase slightly but it should be OK.
A good tip is to do a few designs or variations as it will cost very little extra to do multiple SLAs as long as they are of similar depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back