Rated MDMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB53Mech

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2014
US
Hello Respected Members ,
I am trying to run calculation in COMPRESS , for NPS18 Sch120 - SA-106 C smls pipe as cylinder and 2:1Ellip Head 1.25'' Thk SA-516 Gr.70 . Used MDMT is -20deg.F. Design Pressure 2500psi @350degF .
So in result : In Deficiencies report, it gives me that one note : '' for Cylinder Pipe The Rated MDMT of 4.65 deg F is warmer than the design MDMT of -20 deg.F'' & for the Head rated MDMT 0.95 deg F warmer than -20deg.F ''
My request to you , can you please kindly guide me how to remove this deficiencies ? do I need to go with Impact testing check option on it ? Additionally do I need to put full complete vessel for PWHT or just Head and Shell only? I guess as per SecVIII div.1 for SA-516 Gr70 thickness above 1.5'' Normalize is mandatory . but Is it mandatory to put complete vessel as PWHT option on it too?
And after running all different calculation , If I will put / check mark all these 3 option Impact tested , Material Normalize , and PWHT performed , than only I can be able to get report without deficiencies. Do I really need to put all these 3 condition on complete Vessel ?

Thank you .
- AB53Mech.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Paragraph UCS-66 of ASME B&PV Code, Section VIII, Division 1, is a very complex section.

By specifying the material as normalized and/or produced to fine grain practice you effectively change the material curve in Figure UCS-66 (the four curves A, B, C, and D), which then changes the material's basic impact test exemption temperature as based on the governing thickness.

See Figure UCS-66.2 "Diagram of UCS-66 Rules for Determining Lowest Minimum Design Metal Temperature (MDMT) Without Impact Testing". COMPRESS follows the method outlined in this flowchart. Further, UCS-66(i) indicates that the provisions of UCS-66 may be applied to material that has been impact tested in order to obtain a colder rated MDMT.

The use of PWHT, when not otherwise required by Code rules, will get you a 30° F reduction (colder) in the rated MDMT per paragraph UCS-68(c).

Note that COMPRESS calculates the MDMT rating using the pressure chamber's MAWP. The MDMT may vary with the pressure via the rules of Figure UCS-66.1 and related paragraphs. COMPRESS provides functions to limit the chamber MAWP in order to "maximize" the MDMT rating, if desired. Otherwise, the MAWP is maximized.

Tom Barsh
Codeware

AB53Mech,

Please do not cross-post on multiple threads - pick one.

See my response to your thread in Boiler and Pressure Vessel engineering thread.

-Marty

Thank you Tom & Marty for your detail helpful guidelines on it.

- Yes , Marty , sorry for posting it in two different post about same question. next time I will keep it in my mind.

Regards ,
- AB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back