Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RC Shear Wall: Can I use Embedded Steel Plate to increase shear strength of RC wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmad Uzair Arshad

Civil/Environmental
Mar 25, 2021
AE
Hi Dear,

I am working on a new project that requires reinforced concrete walls as shear wall. Due to space constraints, I cannot increase the thickness of the walls.
Currently the walls are failing in shear. it's an underground structure with extreme ground shock loads.

The PMM ratio of wall piers are fine. I Just want to increase the shear capacity by transferring the additional forces to steel plate.

Is there any good literature that talks about it. Most text that I am able to find talks about the steel frame with steel plate encased with reinforced concrete and the system is designed according to AISC requirements instead of ACI.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect for them to work, they have to be embedded in the face of the concrete walls, maybe being attached with headed studs.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Sure, The steel plate will be embedded, and shear studs will be used to transfer forces.
I am looking for a design guide / example to understand the design parameter & requirements.

Also is there any ACI report or guide for such composite design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back