Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RCP pipe wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkleb123

Civil/Environmental
Aug 28, 2020
US
Under what conditions would you specify the wall thickness for an RCP pipe? Is there an advantage for wall thickness C (more concrete less rebar) or B thickness (more rebar)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And make sure you specify the pipe class or d-load based on actual project conditions. The American Concrete Pipe Association's "Concrete Pipe Design Manual" shows how to do this: You should also check out the other supporting documents, which you can reach from this page.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

retired
strength is specified by the class or d-load and tested using the 3-edge bearing test. design of the pipe / pipe wall is the manufacturers job. you may end up paying more if you demand a particular wall type A, B or C and the pipe will be the same strength. the only reason I would do that is if the outside dimension of the pipe was critical, which is typically not an issue

cvg,

I understand your comment. So I elected to answer the latter question.

Is there an advantage for wall thickness C (more concrete less rebar) or B thickness (more rebar)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back