Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re: Compaq Presario 900 notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhtrikes

Computer
Mar 3, 2005
US
Nephew's notebook stopped working. Wouldn't past post. Removed all hardware and turned computer on. Both fans wouldn't turn on but light on MB. Removed processor. Both fans turned on. Replaced with new processor. Same results. Fans don't work with processor in socket but work when processor is removed. Replaced MB. Same scenario. However, sometimes I can get the fans to turn on when I turn the computer on with the processor in the socket but turn it off quickly as I can feel the heat spreader getting very warm quickly even with both fans running. Seems to get too hot. After it's turned off and turned back on the fans will not come on again until I remove the processor. So is it the processors or the motherboards that are causing the short? Very frustrating. Haven't even attempted to attach monitor or HD or any other hardware until I can get the motherboard to at least come on without overheating the processor. Have never seen this type of problem before. Any suggetions very welcome. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like the motherboard is fried. The motherboard is probably shorting out processors that you keep replacing. Is the RAM installed right now? Have you tried turning it on without the RAM in. Your laptop will make an annoying noise without the RAM in it, but give it a try and see if that does anything. Otherwise I think its a fried motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back