Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-numbering components

Status
Not open for further replies.

tre180

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2010
AU
Hi All,

I've had the misfortune of being assigned a re-numbering project using Solidworks 2010, maybe you guys know the best way to go about it? I've a large assembly consisting of many sub-assemblies and maybe 200 components. I have to re-number all of these models and their respective drawings. I've previously re-numbered another project using solidworks 2007 and it took around 5 weeks, I'm thinking there has to be a faster way! What I did previously was; open the component within its assembly, save as the new part number, then save the assembly as a new number. Then I deleted the old component, opened its drawing, annd when prompted to search for the missing part, selected the newly numbered component.

Does anyone done something similar and know of a faster way?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Solidworks explorer is the best way to renumber. Are you running PDM??? if so then it will automatically relink the files and it makes life so much faster.

Colton, CSWA
Solidworks 2009
PDM Enterprise 2009
Dell Precision T7400

If you are running PDMWorkgroups you'll be able to renumber right in the vault without opening anything. Very handy feature.

Joe Hasik,
CSWP/SMTL/MTLS
SW 09 x64, SP 4.1
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

Thanks guys, it appears that although we have solidworks explorer the PDM vault hasn't been set up yet. But I've been re-naming the files and their corresponding drawings within explorer, much faster than my previous method!

Renumbering is not the same as renaming files. Renumbering could mean that you are changing custom properties. I'm not sure which activity you are asking about. SW Explorer is on your system (or at least there is no logical reason why it is not on your system). If can be used for changing custom properties and also for renaming files. However, SW Explorer is a slow program, so patience is required.

Matt Lorono
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources & SolidWorks Legion

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solidworks & http://twitter.com/fcsuper

&

I remember doing one assy once, it was 100 odd components but I only had to change 50 odd. It took me 15-20 mins once I had a list of all the changes.

I agree with Gurjjeet. Use the "Pack & Go" feature of SolidWorks Explorer. You can rename every part, assembly, & drawing in one dialog box.

Joe
SW Office 2008 SP5.0
P4 3.0Ghz 3GB
ATI FireGL X1

Yes Matt, you are right, we cannot change any custom properties with Pack & Go but I think tre180 wants to change the file names(probably in his case they are numbers) only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back