Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-Order Reference Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSPBenson

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2005
GB
Is there any way of re-ordering the list of reference sets in a part other than removing them all and re-creating them in the order you want them displayed?

Mark Benson
Aerodynamic Model Designer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hoped you were'nt going to say that we have around 50 ref sets in one part that need to be re-ordered.

Mark Benson

WHY do they NEED to be reordered? And if you have 50 Reference Sets, exactly what are you using them for since with that many, it may indicate that perhaps there might be something better adapted to perform whatever it is that you're doing with Reference Sets.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Unfortuantely I can't give you too much information on this.
The reference sets contain very basic solids and sheets. The geometry is all driven by a few key dimensions. The only alternative I can think of is to split each ref set into a part however that would require controlling 50 parts instead of one and the employment of some overlly complex wavelinking for the task.
As you can imagine, with a list of 50+ ref sets and the possibility that new ref sets may need to be added to the part at a later date the need to sort this list becomes obvious.
Especially as this part will be used by up to a hundred people on a day to day basis.

Is there any manual "hack" to the part that could be done?
In other words are the ref sets stored as a text list somwhere in the .prt that a hex editor could tweak?

Cheers,

Mark Benson

To a Designer, the glass was right on CAD.

Mark,

Are you using a master assembly with reference sets to turn parts of it on and off?

If that is the case then I wonder whether you should define zones or filters in the part instead?

Cheers

Hudson

Now that would be a very handy feature to re-order the reference sets. Our company has about 10-15 in each CAD file. This would help sorting things to the process control plan we use.

Folding a widget can get complicated and rather difficult using various files. Having reference sets in a single file is only a click-change away. The pain is figuring out what order they keep in. We have a layer of text that shows the cheat sheet method, but that too is only a work around since the reference set menu is really lame at best.

Yes, having a re-order ability in the reference set menu would be greatly useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back