Re:PQR Groupings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAL2002

Mechanical
Jul 23, 2003
TT
Sorry,
My mistake, but my problem still lies in Gr 1 to Gr 2 materials (AWS Groupings).I need to figure out whether a Welding Procedure can be qualified with these two different type materials.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not have access to AWS code books any longer (it's been over 10 months since I've had access to the AWS, API, & ASME codes), but as I recall there is a documented method to address joining materials from different groups in AWS just as there is in ASME's B&PV Code (of course, I could be wrong, it's been ten months since I've opened a code book).

I qualified more ASME procedures than AWS procedures. I had qualified procedures for P1 to P8, P5A to P5B - I also had one for inconel to stainless (P45-P8? I can't remember the P numbers for certain). I think the primary difference betwen the two procedures was the Charpy testing required in AWS that was not required for my ASME procedures (or was it API that required Charpy?)

Have you reviewed the applicable AWS standards? Which AWS code are you using? Do you have a copy of AWS B2.1?

A Procedure qualified on Group II to group II qualifies for Grp II to itself, Group I to itself or the combination asspecified in Table 4.7 and clause 4.7.3, AWS D1.1. So my recommendation would be to qualify a group II to Group II PQR.
LeAnne,
P1 CS
P5A LAHT
P45 Inconel
P8 SS
So your memory serves you right!!!
The eariler editions of AWS upto 2000 did not call for impact...it was generally a client specification requirement. But the recent edition has clauses for impact testing too. I am not sure however if API calls for impact....if my memory serves me right API refers to ASME Sec IX for qualification(s)!

Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R
Ph: 0097143968906
Mob: 00971507682668
email: sayee_prasad@yahoo.com
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking!!! [thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back