Re-Rating ASME VIII Vessel - R Stamp Nameplate & U Stamp Nameplate Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morts81

Mechanical
Dec 11, 2009
AU
Forum Members

My question relates to the final affixing of NBIC R-Stamp nameplates after re-rating an item of equipment.

We have a vessel which we may require to re-rate from 170degC to 180degC, this will reduce the MAWP from 890kPa to something closer to 850kPa. The expectation is that we would go through the correct protocol of updating design calculations and drawings(and as this is in Australia third party verification and design/plant registration updated with the regulatory authority) and having this all certified by an AI who will issue an R-Stamp nameplate, etc.

However, is this nameplate simply affixed next to the existing U-Stamp nameplate with no change to the original design conditions on that U-Stamp nameplate? This doesn't seem right to me. I also don't expect the U-Stamp nameplate to be removed and replaced with the R-Stamp nameplate. Thirdly, I don't believe it is accepted by the code to modify the U-Stamp nameplate. So what is the solution?

Note that it is understood that an AI would be able to answer this question for me, however, we are in Australia and don't have ready access to any. And due to the fact that this is a hypothetical question at this stage, engaging a third party is unrealistic so would appreciate anyone with experience in re-rating ASME vessels kindly share their knowledge and experience.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back