Re-rating MDMT of a non-carbon/low alloy steel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerM

Mechanical
Feb 16, 2017
US
Hello all,

I am trying to find a section in ASME BPVC Section VIII Div. 1 that explains how to lower a pressure vessel’s MDMT (without impact testing) when the material is not carbon or low alloy steel. I’ve read UCS-66, UCS-67, UCS-68, Figure UCS-66.1, and Figure UCS-66.2 but all of those procedures are only for carbon and low alloy steels.

I’m trying to lower the MDMT of a vessel constructed from SA-240 316L by 5[sup]o[/sup]F.

Also, from a curious engineer standpoint I would like to know how to lower the MDMT (without impact testing) for other materials such as other high alloy steels, or aluminum alloys.

Any experience for this situation would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,
Tyler

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, ASME B&PV Code, Section VIII, Div 1 is a construction code and not an in-service code. Lowering the MDMT is an alteration, so you either follow the requirements of the NBIC or API 510.

Second, learn the code...

Part UCS is specific to carbon and low alloy steels. If you want to look into the rules for other materials, read Parts UHA and UNF.

Thank you for all of your help. I looked under UHA and UNF and found what I was looking for.

For anyone else looking for this information, I made a quick list summarizing what is in the codebooks (Minimum temperature without needing impact testing)

ASME B31.3 (2016)
[ul]
[li]austenitic stainless steel (w/o filler metal)
carbon <= 0.1% -150F[/li]
[li]austenitic weld metal (w/filler metal)
carbon <= 0.1% -150F
carbon > 0.1% -55F[/li][/ul]

ASME Sec. VIII Div. 1 UNF (2017)
[ul][li]wrought aluminum -452F[/li]
[li]copper/alloys -325F[/li]
[li]nickel/alloys -325F[/li]
[li]cast aluminum alloys -325F[/li]
[li]titanium alloys -75F[/li]
[li]zirconium alloys -75F[/li]
[/ul]

ASME Sec. VIII Div. 1 UHA (2017)
[ul][li]austenitic chromium-nickel stainless steels