Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reactor Support 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDChem

Chemical
Jun 28, 2019
CA
Hello, I'd like someone to point me in the right direction on this. I'm looking for information on how reactor supports are designed. I'm looking for the ones that are angles with two (2) 45 degree gussets. The reactor hangs through the floor. Similar to what is shown in the image below:

More specifically, I'm wondering how to calculate steel thickness and dimensions required.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Do you know if there is a standard to follow if I want to use lugs to support something other than a pressure vessel? I'd like to use them to support chutes through a floor.

No.... there is no standard.

There is no "Standard" or "Chart" for everything ..... Perhaps once you understand the methodology and do a little bit of work you can develop one and share it with us ?

This is exactly what separates the engineers from the clerks ....

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Don't know how large your reactor is, but don't forget that an agitated reactor can impart a significant radial load, or torsion if you will, on the support structure, caused by the whirling contents impacting a baffle or any other internal protuberances.

Brad Waybright

It's all okay as long as it's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back