Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reactors and capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameronUK

Electrical
Aug 10, 2005
IE
hi Forum,

i need to know what tests are done on site for reactors svc's and capacitors? just the basic tests so i can ask some commissioners to quote me for these tests.

thanks in advance
regards
cameron

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi cameronUK
Tests performed on reactoer are henerys or uh. these are just checks on values.
Caps are checked or tested by uf readings, or in the case of vars. you would check the resistance the manufacturer would tell you what value you should have.caps for pf are fused internally and you can measure between terminals the readings should be as near equal.
you would be better of having a service engineer call from say ABB CAPACITORS THEY ARE EXPERTS along with many more.

Barry.

Capacitor:
- IEEE Std 18- Standard for Shunt Power Capacitors (ANSI).
- IEC Pub 871-1, Shunt capacitors for a.c. power systems having a rated voltage above 660 V—Part 1.: General—Performance, testing and rating—Safety requirements—Guide for installations and operation.

Reactor:
- IEEE C57.21- Standard Requirements, Terminology, and Test Code for Shunt Reactors Rated Over 500 kVA.
- IEC Pub 289- Reactors.

Also check with NETA, Doble Test, Cigre or similar organizations

Field tests on reactors are difficult, because if you apply full voltage the reactor will be at full power

You can measure resistance, and since the reactor is probably linear you could apply a low voltage across the reactor and read the current. There are also bridges available that can measure reactance. If you feel the need to apply full voltage as a test then you can place capacitors in paralell with the reactor to reduce the power required.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back