Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading NASTRAN output file .f06

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuardy

Aug 22, 2001
DE
hi,
i want to read programmatically some entitites like nodal stress and/or the 10 first natural frequencies from the MSC/NASTRAN f06 output file. Has any body have made an effort to do the same thing? Can i share the source code or the aplication?

Thanks

zuardy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While it is possible to do what you are suggesting, I would encourage you instead to operate on one of the Nastran output files other than .f06. The punch (.pch) file would be appropriate; however I am not sure whether that can be ascii (it is by default binary). Look in the Nastran reference guide as to what options are available for "STRESS()" in the case control section--if you can tie into one of these, your life will probably be easier than trying to deal with outputs in the f06 file.

The f06 file has output formatted for many things other than just the requested outputs, so I would expect that the act of reading it algorithmically will be much more difficult than reading the punch file or other similar files. These files are designed specifically for this usage (i.e. other software being able to tie into Nastran results).
Good luck,
Brad

bradh has the right idea. The punch file is very simple to read. It is ASCII by default, not binary, so writing a program to read it is a snap. Depending upon what you're looking for the print file (.f06) is easier for a human to read, of course, and you should try a simple run with both print and punch output so you can identify what you're looking for in the punch file.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back