Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading Wise Band O2 sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

racear

Industrial
May 7, 2003
US
Hey Fellows
I want to install 8 wide band O2 sensors on my headers on my dynamometer. I have a data acq card installed in the PC with 12 channels but I do not know how to read the sensors and how to calibrate each one even if I can read them. I need any help to get me started.
thanks
racear

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Patprimmer
I use one that I purchase from the local Auto Zone. They fit a Volkswagen, so no specs. I know input is 12 volt and out puts are millivolt. I suspect I will need to condition the signal, or at least amplify it.
Thanks for you question
racer

I have searched both of the above sites as well as spending most of the day on the web trying to find a way to do 8 sensors. Some how I have to get 8 outputs to a Daq card. This thing is becoming quite expensive unless I can find a DIY way
racear

Hey
First, let me thank every one for your comments and suggestions. I have already built one of the units from Australia. I still have it but the accuracy was a little suspect even after calibration. As a result I have purchased one from Innovate. I have had it probably a year. If I go this route, to do the dyno would be about $1500. I know that may not seem like much, but with economic conditions as they are, things have really tightened up since my retirement. And I guess being a '"older engineer" has forced me to look at a DIY project and the only info I can fine is the project out of Australia. I surely wanted to do this on one board, but may be forced to do 10 units. But I will keep looking and watching for inputs from you members.
again thanks
racear

Good Question
I should have classified this. I only want to monitor and record each channel. In no way do I want to control at this time. As a result of using the program on several engine combination, at this time and probably always, I will solely monitor and record. I will shut down and make adjustments and rerun
Thanks
racear

Racear

With a UHEGO/Wide Band Sensor it is not as easy as just measuring the output of the sensor and relating this to Rich/Lean (since it is possible to accuratley measure AFR with a HEGO/Binary Sensor.

The main difference is that an O2 pump circuit is utilised in a UHEGO and this needs a dedicated controller and measurement system - which arent cheap.

MS

Yes I know. It will have to have a controller so that it conditions the signal for proper output. This is what I am looking for. I have one of the first controller that I assembled from Australia and a Innovate, neither which is cheap when you start talking about 8 of them
thanks
racear

Just buy one, and fit it in each exhaust for separate tests.

Or is there a reason you don't want to do this? If so then your budget needs to match your expectations for results.

Regards, Ian

Ian
Thanks for your reply.
I already have one running and monitoring. As a result of that testing, I feel that it would be better to go to one in each cylinder. But with the system I have now, I quickly realized that purchasing one of the type I have now would just be too expensive. I was attempting to tap in to the resources of this forum, to see if there is a better or more inexpensive way. Especially since I was going to do it in quantity. Also with the unit I have now, the conglomeration of parts stacked on top of each other and the wiring would be huge. I was hoping to find something that I had not seen before or a way to build it with a little less complication. At the present, I am exploring the possibility of using inputs and outputs from a Nissan ECU as the input is 12 volt and the outputs is 0 to 5 vdc. Working as I have for the last 40 years in industry, i have found out that using several heads is far better than using one. Your strengths in an area may be far better than mine, yet my strengths in another area may be better than yours. Also, I have found cheap is not always better. But contrary to that, spending funds when not need is dumb.
thanks man
racear

Why not use only two or three wide bands say one in each collector to maintain a hitching post and one to move around from cylinder to cylinder.

Alternatively use one or two wide bands and exhaust gas temp thermocouples in each exhaust pipe.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Pat: This is what I have now. One in each side of the collector. And I do move it around and that was when I found out that I needed more. Became very interesting as I moved the sensor
PS. I saw the posting for ENG tips. I am sorry if I broke any rules. Please inform me what I did wrong and I will correct it as I respect this forumn with its members and knowledge.
again sorry and thanks
racear

Yes

It is a generic statement in my signature, not aimed at anyone in particular. I should edit it to make that clear.

EGTs in conjunction with wide band O2 sensors should provide useful data at lower cost. They may well also respond faster.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back