Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Real RS-232 Cable Length Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielthb

Electrical
Mar 14, 2007
US
175 cable feet of STP between a PC comm port and the DCE--think it'll work at 9600, at 19.2k? I'm not looking for what the specs say but what your experiences are. Cut sheet for the cable says 40pF/ft @ 1.0 MHz.

Dan B

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sure.

Oh..
40pF/foot... That sucks.

Maybe not. If it doesn't, it's your crummy cable.

It's a hard call really as it also depends on your electrical environment. I would imagine 9600 would be dependable. Maybe 19.2k with good cable. In a benign place.

Hopefully you are driving the cable with nice levels not some laptop with +/- 3V levels.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

I doubt there's a commercial cable for this service, so your're talking custom cable. That'll cost ? ?

If it's a dollar a foot plus connectors and labor, $200?

What about a couple 232/485 converters, one for each end, and 200' of twisted pair that you've already got lying around, instead? Far higher probability of it working.

Dan

I believe most of interfaces were at 9600, some were 19200, and never above that speed. bar code scanners usually char length= 20 to 50. sometimes scales, conv speed up to 550 fpm, gap between cases 12-15 inches.

some applications that I did were up to 400 feet and at 9600 baud as far as I remember. It all depended on main panel location and scanner locations. This was with the black box eddc cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back