Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Real world European 3 phase power 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sford

Electrical
Apr 14, 1999
US
I'm designing a 3-phase medical device for use in both the USA and in the EU. Normally it will be installed in hospitals and small clinics, some doctors offices. What is the range of voltage which I should specify for the incoming power? Is 360 VAC- 380 VAC good enough?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

for europe general incoming power level is 380V and 50Hz.<br>
but you should design your systems for 0.4 kV and 50 Hz.<br>
(German / Siemens standart)<br>
<br>
On the other hand, UK energy level is different, pls check<br>
<br>
bye

The European system voltage is usually 380V 50Hz three phase with 220V 50Hz single phase. The voltage tolerance is plus minus 5 percent. Devices/loads may be designed to withstand voltage tolerance up to plus minus 10 percent. I suggest to consult IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) standards and European Norms (ENs) for correctness and accuracy of your device voltage tolerance.

Today, you can find 220/380V, 230/400V and 240/415V, according to local habits (all 50Hz though). For the time being these voltages are 'tolerated'. <br>
The transition towards a fixed 230/400V network should be achieved by 2003.<br>
At this date, the plus/minus 10% tolerance (as quoted by jbartos) MIGHT (but probably will) be reviewed.<br>

Many small clinics will not have 3 phase power available. There are power supplies available that will accept wide ranges of voltages and frequencies. Look in the power supplies publications. if you spend a little more on your power supply to get one that will work in most places, you will have a wider range of those that will be able to use your product. I see you have received answers for most common voltages in Germany and France, but there are others in common use, I have seen 127/240 50 Hz in Italy, and 240 delta 50 Hz is common in the UK, How about over in the Orient? They have a lot of British equipment, so they have voltage ranges similar to the UK. How about portable/mobile clinics, they usually have 12 to 24 volts dc, that could also be a good market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back