Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Real world hardware minimums

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiocad

Structural
Apr 6, 2001
US
I've done a bit of research, and read a number of websites, so I have done my homework, but a lot of the pages look like people that are just noodlers, not daily users, or they're just completely full of BS and have no idea what they're saying. Tough to filter truth through some of those.

Looking for real-world recommendations for minimum and preferred hardware for use with Revit. (up to and including 2017... with a bit of future proofing incorporated)

Autodesk lists 16 GB ram as the recommended. That's what we have. It's typically pinned above 90% usage. We're looking at going to upgrade that machine to 32GB, or getting a new machine and stuffing 64 in it.

Some of the models that we have to work with from the design team approach if not exceed, 900 meg to 1 GB.

I've seen conflicting reports, of i7 vs Xeon. We have certified and non-certified cards on some of the machines. The certified have given us significantly more problems than the non. (Artifacts, tears in surfaces, etc, that don't exist when opened on the other type of workstation... they even disappear on the original station if the view is turned, etc.)

Looking for folks that actually use this on a daily basis, for what they like, and what they hate. Not.. "Well... Autodesk recommends......" That's shown to be woefully inadequate for the files we're getting. (We can control in-house, etc.... but we're at the mercy of the files sent to us by others)

Processors.....
hdd (7200 rpm vs ssd, stand-alone vs raid, etc)
Video card....
Ram

Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back