Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Realize shape weld vertex

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobaltred

Automotive
Nov 19, 2011
US
NX 9 when I create a primitive box with six sides and select a face and extrude a few times like adding sections to a worm, then delete one of the sections in the middle
I get two shapes now with one open sides and in the part navigator this is all one feature, I can fill a face on the two items but what if I wanted to weld them back together?
In t-Splines there is a weld vertex command. If I try any of the other commands NX tells me the two are disjoint so how do I join them. I guess someone is going to tell me why
would you ever want to separate them and to just delete the disjoint parts and close the face of the other and you are back to where you started. So should I just
never do that under normal modeling. In short I think it would be a nice and simple command to add.Also is there any way to merge or combine two separate realize shape features in the part navigator
into one realize shape feature so that one could work on separate parts of the model in bites and then combine them into one feature as long as there control vertices are lined up?
Again a weld command seems like it would do the job.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While we're going to be adding a new 'Sew Cage' function in NX 10.0, which sounds like it would be exactly what you're looking for, in NX 9.0 there is an approach which might work, just that you've got to do a bit of 'repairing' first (this will NOT be needed with the new 'Sew Cage') and then some 'clean-up' afterwards.

You say that you have two shapes each with an 'open side'. You will need to first perform a 'Fill' to close those open sides and then you can use the 'Bridge Face' function to join the two bodies back into one, but you'll need to then 'clean-up' some faces to get a proper shape. With NX 10.0 all you'll need to do is use the new 'Sew Cage' function to get what you want.

To see how this works I've attached a couple of videos showing how to first create the 'Bridge Face' using NX 9.0 and then how to clean it up afterwards.

As a treat, I've also included a video showing you how the 'Sew Cage' function is going to work in NX 10.0.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=11cd96cc-36d9-4534-8398-99e082e3a50d&file=Realize_Shape.zip
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back