Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Really unhappy at current job - when to leave? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman89

Mechanical
May 5, 2011
AU
I won't get into the details, but needless to say that I'm quite unhappy at my current job and have been for several months. During that time I've been applying for a handful of other jobs but I've just about lost patience with my current position to the extent that I've been considering leaving before having a new one lined up. The only reason I'm still there is because there seems to be this stigma that leaving a job without a replacement is suicide.

A few points to consider:

1. I'm young and still live at home, so I have very few expenses.
2. I'm quite disciplined with my money so have more than enough saved up.
3. I've been doing online courses to teach me new skills. I would do more of them if I had the time(mostly to satisfy myself, may or may not be useful in the future).

Has anyone here ever left before finding a new job, not knowing how long they could be without work for?

It would be great to here some personal experiences.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, twice.
In both instances the near-future work situation would become extremely dangerous if I had stayed. I feared for my safety. In both instances, the company management was some of the most vile, despicable, incompetent, unethical bunch of kooks I've ever dealt with. And they cared zero for the welfare of their employees. There was a tolerable bit of hardship & worry after I left, but I would do it again. I was able to secure good employment shortly thereafter without much trouble. The worst part was worrying about supporting my family sufficiently, but that was needless worry (as is most worry).

If your situation doesn't meet extreme criteria like that, then I suggest you gut it out. Put on your game face, go full-professional in your behavior, and quietly look for something else. Later you will probably realize that your situation, while unpleasant, is not nearly as bad as you think it is. The character you build for yourself by surviving a tough situation will serve you well later.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

I highly suggest against leaving before having another offer in hand. Let's say you leave your current position but fail to find a new one for 6 months (quite possible, especially if you're being picky)... you now have to explain to potential employers a 6-month gap in your work history. Not a huge deal after 15-20 years in the field (plenty of ways to explain it away), but when you're just starting out? Could be a deal-killer for a lot of companies.

Your financial situation is only one facet to consider...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Explaining to a future employer in your next interview why you left would be a tricky one.
I left one company to go finish my B.Eng. So unless you're going to college or have at least something lined up, I'd advise against it.
In the end you will look back and seeing it as a learning experience, even if how not to do business.

M

Remember that while looking for a new job, a potential employer is NOT looking for a reason to hire you. They are looking for reasons to NOT hire you. Don't give them any.

Yes I have walked out of a job, without any immediate prospects. They are paying you to work for them, not die for them. On the other hand don't get all whiny about it, from most people on this planet's point of view if you are on 60000 and work indoors then you are better off than they will ever be.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

I have been shown the door without any prospects. I make it a policy never to walk out on my own without a job to walk in to. You can collect unemployment if you quit, but you have to prove that conditions were intolerable. I'd talk to your local labor board or unemployment office to find out what that standard is. You can usually find the information on line as well, but it's a bit trickier.

If you are offended by the things I say, imagine the stuff I hold back.

If you are unhappy, but find another job that seems promising, make the move.
If it doesn't work out, you are young enough to find something that works.
I was happy for the most part on one job, but quit to go to a larger company knowing the risk of layoff there.
But, they told me there was travel involved. I did it for the experience. 3.5 years later layoff's hit.
Then my current job dropped in my lap.

Chris
SolidWorks 11
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

You give no indication as to why you are so unhappy in your current job. That is the real issue; would changing where you work make things better or worse?

I have left without a job lined up. But I moved to a booming economy, where I had particular skills that applied. I had a new job within two weeks of the move, but at 75% of the pay I had left. If I'd have been less impulsive, I probably would have been better off financially, and could have been more picky about the job I took. And the effect snowballs - with a less desirable second job, you're in a worse position when looking for your third job, and so on.

Be smart about your career, pick the job want, then go and get the job. It took me years to learn this, but it's possible decide what your dream job is, and then work toward getting it. Unless you're in a recognised degree program, unemployment won't get you any closer to that dream job. I recommend you pick out your top 3 choices for your next job, then call the bosses there tell them you want to work there, and why. Ask them what it would take to make that happen, then follow their advice. Follow up with them every quarter.

I have done this. It is not for the faint of heart. I quit a very high paying job in Pittsburgh once. I quickly found the company as well as the place where I lived to be intolerable. Some people love Pittsburgh. I hated almost everything about it. When I left I took a huge financial hit not just from leaving the job but because the scumbag real estate company that I was renting from whacked me with a [italic]five thousand dollar penalty[/italic] for breaking my lease. And I was legally obligated to pay it. And I did over time. I had no job and no prospects as I moved back to my old place in Massachusetts. And I had to move all of my household belongings myself, during December in the snow. Not a fun time. But I was very glad to be back in MA.

Eventually I found my next job, but it took me about 8 months. And I am pretty happy here. Sometimes no job is better than the wrong job.

A college engineering classmate of mine later was working for the same employer that I previously had worked for. I had left due to them giving me 6 months notice due to a major change coming. My next jobs were great and not affected by this.

However the classmate had a disagreement with management about an ethical thing. His name was left off a research paper. I met again him at our 50th class reunion. He told me that move of his to quit because of the disagreement meant from then on he could never find a job in the engineering field he trained for. The word got along where ever he applied. And that was in the booming times. Try it today and see the results forever, even if you find one before leaving.

Rotarian:

I think the useful determination as to what is a "really good cause" more likely is made by the past employer when it comes to checking the references. Without references, it's pretty hard to omit information as to where you last worked. Then all it takes is one phone call to pass the apparent "good cause" reason along.

Also, there sometimes, in engineering circles, are friendly communications between different companies, such as with members of professional organizations, so that a negative past problem will stay hidden is wishful thinking.

My comment was only one case, but not something to dismiss when deciding what to do.

I have another case. A Nephew. He was a real brain and was doing fine with a modern electronics firm, in charge of a small department after 2 years in the first job. He decided that, since he has progressed so well, that he could just quit and find a better job. After all, he learned "how valuable" he was and figured to take advantage of it. To shorten the story, he went on looking for that better job around the country, finally ran out of money and had to take on the life of a drifter. His folks got a phone call from a far off place stating he was found having hanged himself. I don't know about his past following him or not, but it sure looks like it.

I suggest quit. As 77 said, pick the job want, then go and get the job. If your skills line up and you are excited about the new job, they'll notice and hire you. I do contract engineering; sometimes 4 months before landing another good gig but, I always seem to get the job I want because I know it matches my skill set and I let the new employer know that this is a good match. Quitting without a new job lined up? - Done that several times. I am always involved in some sort of research project though so there is never a time gap when I'm doing nothing. I suggest you take courses at your local college so that, to the new HR dept, you are not "doing nothing".
This is not a slave society. Let them wonder why they loose engineers. It's their loss.

A lot of interesting responses, my opinion was pin-balling as I read each one. I think at long last I will chime in here as another consideration has come up recently.

One thing that I did not mention when I started this thread (and was not one of my original reasons for wanting to leave) was that I am on hourly rates. I work in consulting where every hour I put down has to go towards a project. The whole company isn't like that, but about 50% of the staff are on a similar arrangement while the remaining (highly experienced staff) are on salary.

The problem is that work has dried up and I am lucky to do 20hrs per week. On top of that I am also travelling almost 2hrs each way to work, which I didn't mind if I was going in to do a full 8hrs or more. It just seems so pointless going in to do 3-4hrs, wasting a whole day anyway, and still being in the mindset of not wanting to be there. Of the work that is around, most of it has to go to the people who are on salary as they themselves are not busy, and the company is paying them regardless. It's the same across the whole industry actually, most of our competitors have laid off most of their staff. Me being on hourly rates is the only reason I haven't undergone the same fate I suppose. I would probably be looking at a change in industry.

The reason I keep going is that in my mind I'm still wrestling with the notion that "it's still some money" and "it's still better than nothing". However, this week I am on unpaid leave as I came in on Monday and logged a disappointing 1 hour of work. I will admit that I am leaning more and more towards quitting in light of what some people have said. To be honest, one of the main obstacles is actually trying to explain to my superiors that I want to leave without a job lined up as I feel they might get extremely PO'd about it. Still trying to keep an open mind about this whole thing.

If they can only manage a couple of hours work per week, I don't think they'd be too upset if some of their hourly employees left... 10 hourly employees at 2 hours a week, is still enough for 20 hours a week for a single employee. And it's less paperwork for them. I wouldn't think too heavily on how they'll react to you moving on...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

If you want/decide to leave, you don't need to explain anything to your superiors. A resignation stating your end date of work is all that is needed. If work is that slow, I doubt they are expecting everyone to stay. However, are you using that time off to look for a new job? Are you still receiving benefits? That at least is worth something and a reason to stay until you have something lined up. It sounds like you have a lot of time on your hands, use that to your advantage in your job search. Don't rely on someone searching you out in Monster. If you are not at work, pretend that your job is finding the next job.

If there is a remote chance that you might wind up working at an aerospace company, you might consider staying until you find another job so that there is no gap in employment. While there's no stigma, gaps will get questioned every time your employment history comes up; gaps are sometimes associated with rehab, etc., so gaps are less than desirable.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back