Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rebar placed after concrete placement has begun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engingguy

Civil/Environmental
Jun 9, 2016
US
I am researching standards for someone (and thankfully it is not my project). The contractor did not have all the rebar in place before he began to place the concrete, and began to stick it in after the concrete was in the forms. I believe the last of it was DRIVEN in after the concrete had begun to set! Needless to say, recriminations are now flying like watermelon at a Gallagher show. Does anyone know a specific STANDARD that says that the reinforcing must be in place before the concrete placement has begun? It seems such an obvious thing to not try to retroactively stick the rebar in that in many years, I have never encountered something like that situation. It’s simply jaw-dropping, but it happened.....

Thanks, Eng

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ACI 318-11 - section 7.5.1 "Reinforcement....shall be accurately placed and adequately supported before concrete is placed..."

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Thanks, I found it just after I posted. It is one of those things that I knew I had seen but I could not remember where. It is so obvious, and I never paid it much thought. I may add that note on plans so none of my own jobs end up this way.

We do sometimes allow vertical rebar dowels to be stabbed into the tops of wall footings (usually trenched grade-beam like footings) instead of tied in place prior to concrete placement.

These, however, are not significantly stressed bars and only really serve to provide a nominal positive connection to the foundation. For bars with calculated, or significant stress we do not allow stabbing.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

I haven't had the problem, but have heard of the reverse. People trying to save a bit by taking out the bars after the inspector has left the site.

I'd say the question comes to what the construction documents state and what specifications are references - yes the building code governs construction, but it is not the reference made to the constructors.

Is ACI 301 referenced? 3.3.2.1 Tolerances requires reinforcement to be placed and secured to maintain location during placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back